Main Content


Lee County Pet Licensing

It’s The Law!


Lee County Ordinance requires that all cats, dogs and ferrets that are four (4) months of age or older be vaccinated against rabies and licensed by the County. Veterinarians are required by Florida State Statute to notify Lee County Domestic Animal Services that their clients’ pets have received a rabies vaccination and whether a county license was purchased. When our office receives this information, we send out letters to pet owners who have not purchased a license.  Please be aware that the license is actually due the day the rabies vaccination is given. If you have not purchased the license within 30 days, a late fee of $25 will be assessed. We base our letters on information provided to us by the pet owner’s veterinarian. Therefore, please let us know if any of the information is incorrect by contacting us at


1.  How do I purchase a Lee County license?

Many veterinarians sell Lee County licenses. If your veterinarian participates in the pet licensing program, you may purchase a county license from him or her at the time your pet receives its rabies vaccination. If your veterinarian does not sell licenses, you may purchase one from Lee County Domestic Animal Services in person at the shelter, or by mail. 


2.  Where do I purchase a Lee County license? 

Lee County Domestic Animal Services is located at 5600 Banner Drive, Fort Myers, FL  33912.  It is next to the Sheriff’s Office off Six Mile Cypress Parkway.


3.  When can I purchase a Lee County license? 

Please see our home page for our business hours. 


4.  Can I purchase a Lee County license by mail?

Yes, simply mail a copy of your rabies certificate from your veterinarian with the appropriate fee by check or money order made payable to Lee County Domestic Animal Services, and we will mail the license to you. We are unable to accept credit card payments over the phone.


5.  Can I purchase a Lee County license online?

This method of payment is not available as we must have a copy of your pet's current rabies certificate on file before we can issue a pet license. Therefore, you can only purchase a license by mail, in person at our shelter, or from veterinarians who sell licenses. Please check with your veterinarian to see if he or she sells the county pet license. (Refer to questions 1 through 4 above.)


6.  When does my license expire?

The license expires on the same date that the rabies vaccination expires. Rabies vaccinations can be one year or three years in duration depending on the vaccine used and the previous vaccination history of the pet. A one-year license is issued for pets receiving a one-year rabies vaccine. A three-year license is issued for pets receiving a three-year rabies vaccine. If you are late purchasing your license, it will still expire when the rabies vaccination expires. If a license is not purchased within 30 days of the rabies vaccination, a $25 late fee will be assessed in addition to the license fee. Late fees are collectable for up to three years. By delaying the purchase of the county license, you also risk the possibility of receiving a citation of up to $500 per animal per violation. First violations average between $75 and $100 plus court costs. 


7.  What is the cost of a Lee County license?

The following fees were passed by the Lee County Board of County Commissioners on Aug. 4, 2009 and became effective:  December 2, 2014

Juvenile license (for all pets under 12 months of age for first year) - $15

Ferret - $15

One-year license for sterilized & microchipped pets - $15

Three-year license for sterilized & microchipped pets - $25

One-year license for unsterilized pets or sterilized pets without a microchip - $35

Three-year license for unsterilzed pets or sterilized pets without a microchip - $65

Duplicate License or Change of Ownership - $5

Late Registration or Renewal Fee 30 days or more past due renewal or origianl purchase(+ License Fee) - $25

When purchasing your license in person or by mail, be sure the rabies certificate is marked by the veterinarian as to whether the pet is sterilized or not and if microchipped that the microchip number is also included on the certificate for our records.


8.  My veterinarian did not give me a rabies tag.  Do I need one?

As of January 1, 2007, veterinarians may not issue private rabies tags. Doing so is a violation of Lee County Ordinance. A Lee County pet license is the only tag required by law – it serves as both a rabies vaccination tag and pet registration tag for Lee County.


9.  Do pets of seasonal or temporary visitors to Lee County have to be licensed?
If your pet lives in Lee County for 30 days per year, you must have your pet licensed in Lee County.


10.  Does my pet need a new rabies vaccine if it still has a current one from another state?

If your pet's rabies vaccine is still current, you only need to purchase a county license. You may purchase the license by bringing or mailing a copy of the rabies certificate to Animal Services. If purchasing by mail, include the appropriate fee and the license will be mailed to you. The Lee County license will expire when the rabies vaccination expires.


11.  Why must pets be licensed?

By licensing pets we are able to return pets to their owners when they are lost, and we are able to ensure that all pets receive a current rabies vaccination. This is a public health and safety issue.  While there are many diseases that pets can contract that are serious to their health or even fatal, these diseases are not a serious threat to humans. Rabies, however, is transmissible to humans and is fatal once contracted. Therefore, it is imperative that we maintain a program to ensure all pets are vaccinated against this fatal disease.


12.  Where does the license fee money go?

All license fees collected in Lee County go toward spay and neuter programs to reduce pet overpopulation in Lee County, thereby reducing the number of animals entering Lee County Domestic Animal Services’ shelter each year. By spaying and neutering pets, we reduce unnecessary euthanasia and save taxpayers' money. 


If you have additional questions, please contact our licensing office at